Saturday, June 15, 2013

long day's journey into whatever

I woke up with a start this morning at about 3:20. I remembered right away that I'd forgotten to set the alarm on my phone.  No big deal, either way.  I can't remember the last time I slept through a night without waking up and seeing the red numbers on the clock radio reading somewhere between midnight and way too early.  Once in a awhile, I'll actually be asleep when the alarm goes off at 5:10 but that happens like a night or two a month.

I was still a little bit rattled by all this at 3:20 this morning.  Rattled because, even though I hadn't set the alarm last night for good reason, I remembered right away when I woke up that I'd forgotten to set the alarm and was thinking that I needed to be up for work in another couple of hours, what with today being Thursday and all.

The good reason that I hadn't set the alarm last night was, of course, that last night was Friday.  And today is Saturday and I didn't need to be awake at 3:20 or 5:10 or any time much before 9 o'clock this morning.

Maybe I was compensating for last week when I was convinced that we were a day further along on the calendar than we actually were.  Neither state of mind is particularly productive though I guess that being just one day off last week was better than being two days off this morning.  Thinking that I needed to go back to work on Thursday and Friday after having already worked them has to have been a bad sign, though of what I don't know.  I really should have known better because, if I'd thought about it for even a second, I'd have realized that I sure as hell wasn't gonna get paid twice for those days even if I did work them again.

Or maybe I'm entering some early stage of dementia which is messing with my internal clock.  I worry all the time about an early onset of dementia even if I still do OK on the Friday crosswords.  I haven't yet headed off to work one morning to come out of some driving-induced coma two hours later in Fergus Falls surrounded by Egg MacMuffin wrappers, having missed all three exits for Brooklyn Park.  I suppose that's a good sign.  And I haven't yet headed off to work one morning only to get to work and realize that it's Saturday or Sunday.

There may be hope for me yet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment