Thursday, April 3, 2014

thank god!! spring, at last.

Another beautiful early-April day in the northwest suburbs, 4/3/14.
We're getting whacked again; this time with a predicted 4-9" in the metro.  My heart goes out to the poor souls who are gonna plummet back into severe seasonal affective depression.  But, good golly, what could they have been thinking?  It's not as if anyone with half an ounce of common sense or any historical perspective would be anticipating that they might be able to get out into the yard anytime soon and start hiding eggs for the coming Easter Egg Hunt.  Which, by the way, will take place on April 20th this year.  At our house.  Miz Susan tells me that we're hosting so that settles that.  I'm already plotting on how I might get away with hiding a twelve pack in the backyard for an Easter Beer Hunt.  I'll need some fortification as I tend the big-ass ham from Widmer's while it cooks in the dilapidated Weber kettle and is transformed into Easter Dinner's main course.  If I play my cards right and the weather turns a bit more cooperative than it's being today, I might be able to stay outside all afternoon and avoid getting yelled at for tracking mud into the kitchen.

But I'm counting my eggs and beers before they're found.  This year, I don't see any strong trends leaning to turning Easter into a party on the back deck.  I can hope for that but this winter (apparently still ongoing despite what the calendar says) and last year's would seem to counsel lowered expectations for sunny skies and soft, sweet breezes wafting about.

The most incongruous sight on I-94 eastbound this evening was this big-ass semi and trailer barreling down the road at 60 mph and weaving through multiple lanes of traffic as if it were a little MG convertible. Maybe it's a promising sign that spring is truly on the way despite all the other evidence to the contrary.  I'm reassured that, even with Mother Nature and Old Man Winter hooking up to try to break us, the radishes MUST and WILL go through.  If only I liked radishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment